Thursday 11 October 2012

Application Received!

So, in my oh-so-nervous-something-will-go-wrong-at-every-turn way of handling things, we put a signature tracker on our application, so I could know when it was received and who signed for it.

It was received at the office today :)

I do love Canada Post sometimes!

Also, one of the two adoption agencies we're considering had included a list of patrons as references, complete with their phone number. I called one family today (they're from Ontario) to see how they found the process, and more specifically, their agency. This one agency is really hard to find reviews on and we want to be sure we made the right choice!

She had nothing but stellar things to say, which was a huge sigh of relief for me. She praised the staff, their comprehensive process (both in Canada and while travelling to Russia) and answered a few of my questions.

This wonderful lady also sent me a link to the blog she kept while travelling to and from Russia so I could follow her family's adventure. I must say that I hope to have time to sight see while in Russia - there are so many things there that sound amazing and beautiful.

The conversation left me feeling much more comfortable with this particular agency. You see, here in Nova Scotia there are no adoption agencies, and you need one for inter-country adoption. So, alas, you need to find one from another province that will work with you, and is licensed to work with you, as well as be licensed with your Country of choice (in this case that's Russia).

So I set out on a few weeks of MAJOR research reading everything I could and we got things narrowed down to 2 agencies. Now we just need to wait to see if anyone in Nova Scotia (the provincial government authorities or the private home study practitioners) have an opinion on either agency.

_________________________________

While I was writing this we got a call from the lady who signed for the application today. She wanted to check on a few things:
  1. Have we looked into agencies? Have we found agencies that will work with Nova Scotians?
  2. Are we aware of all that's involved with adoption from Russia (the travel, the translation, the cost, etc)?
  3. Did we make it any further in our domestic adoption application?
She also told us that they are holding their International Training next weekend and would we like to attend? Umm...yes! The next time they are holding it isn't until the spring so I would say we lucked out! Furthermore, it turns out that this training is the international equivalent of PRIDE training here in Nova Scotia.

This is great! And it's completely odd that I am off work both weekend days - so hooray!

Also, the lady I spoke with told me that she's doing our Child Abuse/Child Welfare Registry Check now and will pop the list of approved home study practicionners in the mail as soon as it's done.

Today is a pretty good day on the adoption front! I would have loved to have seen Adam's face when I called him at work to fill him in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...